Monday, April 28, 2008

It was just an idea....

pictures taken April 18, 2008

All winter I did research on raised bed gardens. See the information at "http://www.squarefootgardening.com/". So we built three raised beds next to the patio for our kitchen garden. I ordered seed and plant catalogs, trying to figure out what to plant. Also, besides what to plant I wanted to make sure we planted things we would eat.



We built the boxes out of pine, they are 4' x 10' and 11" tall. They each have a soaker hose, which we buried, that loops around in the bed and the hose is setup on a timer so they get automatically watered at 6 a.m. each morning for one hour. This is the neatest part because I don't have to worry if everything is getting enough water. Plus when it gets hot outside I don't have to worry about standing outside and watering.


I started Roma tomatoes, Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes and hot and sweet pepper seeds in the house, which we then replanted in bed two. They started out so small I was worried they wouldn't be any good, I also planted lettuce and carrots and basil in this bed. We've already been eating on the lettuce a couple of times. You just cut what you want, you can get up to 4 cuttings before having to resow.
I draped the mesh over the beds when everything was little to discourage the cats from thinking we made them a giant litter box!

1 comment:

JeneferB said...

Julia, the beds look awesome! I remember us talking about that and your sketching out your ideas.
Great job!!!