Thursday, October 14, 2010

Raw milk...

What is raw milk? Milk that comes straight from the cow... see Raw Milk Facts...
Tuesday my friend and i drove to two different dairy farms: Jersey Girls Milk and Texas Daily Harvest.

We both bought 4 gallons fresh milk from Jersey Girls Milk, this is their calving season and they had lots of calves for sale. Boys are $50.00 and girls are $250.00 each. Unfortunately I couldn't fit her in the car.

Sharon also bought seven different types of cheeses from Texas Daily Harvest. We also tasted yogurt and strawberry (made with real strawberries) drinkable yogurt. We saw them making Greek yogurt and got a mini-tour of the farm. They are a full organic farm and sale meat: beef, pork, eggs and produce.


left over butter milk on the left and whey on the right...

Over the last couple of days I took 6 cups cream off two of the four gallons of milk, leaving about an inch of cream in the jug. I froze the cream and the milk for future use. Today I took 2 cups of cream off the third gallon and let in set out on the counter for 2 hours in a quart jar before I started to shake it. After shaking for 20 minutes I had about a 1/2 cup butter and 2 cups 1% milk. Which I placed back in the refrigerator for future use. I also froze that third gallon for later.

Then I shook up the fourth gallon and poured 1/2 gallon into a pan and made some Paneer Cheese. Heating on medium/high heat heat to just before it starts to boil, turn down to medium heat and add 1 cup plain yogurt, continue stirring. You will see the curds start forming, when it separates pour into bowl lined with cheese cloth or muslin. Pull up cloth and drain off whey into bowl...DO NOT DISCARD. Rinse cheese under cold water,squeeze out excess water and place on flat surface with heavy pan on top to flatten it. Let sit 30 minutes, remove cloth and ENJOY.

I still have 1/2 gallon left in the refrigerator which I will use to make some homemade yogurt.
It's basically made like the cheese only you heat the milk to 180*, remove from stove and let cool to 120*. Then take 1 cup yogurt and scoop a little of the cooled milk into a bowl with the yogurt to temper it, mix and then add the remainder of the milk. I cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the microwave. Layer 1 bath towel in the bottom of the microwave, set in the bowel of milk and cover with another towel. Leave undisturbed for 8 hours. (I usually make this up and let setup overnight) I then spoon into 1 cup plastic containers and place in the refrigerator. When you go to eat it you can add anything/flavor you want. If you want a thicker Greek Style yogurt this can be strained though cheese cloth before putting it into containers. If you keep back 1 cup, this can be used to prepare your next batch without having to purchase anymore yogurt.

So out of the four gallons of milk I bought, (cost was $5.00 gallon) I got:
  1. 6 cups heavy cream (to be made into more butter later or for recipes that call for heavy cream)
  2. 1/2 cup sweet butter
  3. 2 cups 1% milk
  4. 5 cups whey (use for baking)
  5. 8 cups yogurt
  6. 8 oz. Paneer Cheese
  7. 28 cups/2 1/4 gallons milk (frozen...to be used at a later date)

No comments: